25 Days of Christmas Movies

It's December, y'all, which means Christmastime is here ! It's exciting, I know. Here are 25 movies you can watch this month, le...

It's December, y'all, which means Christmastime is here! It's exciting, I know. Here are 25 movies you can watch this month, leading up to the big day! Some are traditional, some may not be, but all are worthy.



(* denotes that the film is currently available for instant streaming on Netflix)



1. Elf. Like every other person on the planet, Elf is one of my favorites. It is literally laugh out loud funny, and they've turned it into a live action musical (see if your state has performances scheduled anywhere). Will Ferrell always, always kills with his performances, and Elf is no exception.
2. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. Another favorite. I have probably watched this movie every Christmas for most of my life. I love any of the National Lampoon's movies (traditional ones, with Chevy Chase.) and this movie is not just one for the holidays.
3. A Christmas Story. Truthfully, I didn't ever see this movie until I was 19 years old. My mom wouldn't let us watch it because she said it was "the stupidest movie ever made." So, you may be burnt out on this one. I'm not.
4. Home Alone 1. This one's major to watch this year, because it's the 25th anniversary. It's actually going to be in several theatres nationwide on December 9. (And who doesn't love a little Macaulay Culkin? *insert inappropriate Michael Jackson joke here).
5. Home Alone 2. This is one sequel that's just as good as the original, but really, do I have to even say anything here? Who hasn't seen the Home Alone movies?
6. The Family Stone. Cue sad music. This movie is such a great movie that will make you laugh and cry. It's definitely a good one for this time of the year.
7. It's a Wonderful Life. A classic. We watched this movie every single year growing up. We had it on VHS, then bought it on DVD when it came out. We even have the cassette tape soundtrack. This is truly one of the only older films that I actually enjoy, and it is perfect.


8. The Santa Clause. Another movie I grew up watching. We loved Tim Allen in "Home Improvement," and loved him even more in the Santa Clause.
9. The Santa Clause 2. Not as good as the original, but the sequel is still pretty funny. However, the life-size toy Santa/clone looks like Kenny Rogers after botox and is kind of terrifying.
10. The Santa Clause 3. Once again, not as golden at the original, but still pretty funny. I mean, who doesn't love Tim Allen?
11. I'll Be Home for Christmas*. Another favorite from"Home Improvement," and our lives in general as teeny-boopers, this movie stars no other than JTT (Jonathan Taylor Thomas). Who could resist, amirite?
12. Gremlins. Okay, so maybe it's not a Christmas movie, per say, but it is set during Christmas, so watch it anyways.


13. Jingle All the Way. Oh, the 90s. The best Christmas movies (or movies in general) were made in the 90s. I'm usually not a huge fan of Arnold Scwharzenegger, or action films, but I love good old Arnold in this one, who's on a quest to get his kid the hottest gift of the year.
14. Christmas with the Kranks*. Alright, guys, and back to Tim Allen, and this time, Jamie Lee Curtis. A combination of those two just can't be beat.


15. How the Grinch Stole Christmas (with Jim Carrey). Look, I know there are older versions and fun cartoon versions, but Jim Carrey is truly one of the best actors of all time, and his version of the Grinch with always be the best.
16. Love Actually*. Name a woman you know that doesn't watch this movie, especially around the holidays. The cast is all star with Andrew Lincoln (Rick from "The Walking Dead") and half of the Harry Potter cast.
17. Scrooged. Bill Murray. Enough said.
18. A Christmas Carol (with Jim Carrey). And again with Jim Carrey. A million versions, and Carrey trumps them all.
19. Four Christmases. Vince Vaughn and our precious southern belle, Reese Witherspoon (or Wreath Witherspoon, google it),  make for a film full of Christmas laughs.
20. Polar Express. Okay, I'll be honest. I've never watched this movie. Terrible, I know, but I hear it's one of the best.
21. Bad Santa*. Not appropriate for children, or much of anyone, but Billy Bob Thornton is absolutely hilarious in his role as bad Santa. Also, for all your Lorelai Gilmore fans out there, you'll never see her the same way again.
22. Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas*. This was one of my favorites as a child. I had the VHS and would watch it forever on repeat. It's several short stories about Christmas starring Mickey and the gang.
23. Nightmare Before Christmas*. Is it a Halloween film or is it a Christmas film? It's the age old question. So watch it both times of the year, and any other time for that matter, but just make sure you enjoy it!
24. The Muppet's A Christmas Carol. A second version of A Christmas Carol, but this time, starring the Muppets. Do I really have to give anymore explanation there?
25. Trading Places*. I consider this a Christmas movie since it's set during Christmas. The film stars Jamie Lee Curtis, Dan Aykroyd, and Eddie Murphy, y'all. It's basically a modern-day Prince and the Pauper.

Bonuses:
Happy Christmas*- This movie stars Anna Kendrick and Lena Dunham, so it sure to be great. I haven't seen it yet, but I've heard great things.


A Very Murray Christmas*- This will be released as a Christmas special on Netflix on December 4. I am pumped to watch it. I love Bill Murray, and it's truly got an all-star cast.


What are your favorites to watch during the holidays?


xx,











You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Home Alone is my all time favorite. My brother and I used to watch it EVERY DAY after school! We knew all the words like the back of our hand hahaha. I also do love the Family Stone, even though it's sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Home Alone is so good! It's the 25th anniversary this year, so I'm really hoping to go see it in theatres next week!

      Delete